Saturday, May 7, 2011

An open letter to my mother on Mother's Day.



Dear Mom,

I forgot to mail your Mother's Day card.

*face palm*

Well actually, I forgot to BUY your Mother's Day card which would make it almost impossible to mail it so forgetting to mail it kinda sorta makes sense.

So as much as I would like to SAY it was my brilliant idea all along to just do an "Ode to my Mama" post....it wasn't.

And even though Rutherford laughed and smiled when I told him what I was going to do, I'm sure he was thinking I was a forgetful jerkface.

Regardless, let's just pretend this was my idea all along, shall we?

(This is going to be better than a stupid generic Hallmark card anyway.)

Boogie is getting so big. She's pretty much running all over the house and no wiener dog is safe. By the end of the day I'm exhausted and counting the minutes till the glorious BEDTIME has arrived.

I don't know how you did it.

The other day I cleaned my house, planned dinner for the week, went to the grocery store with baby to get supplies for dinner, brought her home, made dinner, left her with Rutherford to go BACK to the grocery store to do all the rest of the shopping for the week, came home and ate dinner (your pork chop recipe), then went BACK to the grocery store because I forgot the toothbrushes....you can see where this is going.

This was one day.

With one kid.

You had FIVE.

And I can count the number of times we had takeout or leftovers on one hand.

??

Most importantly, I never felt ignored, unappreciated or unloved.

You introduced me to purple eyeshadow, you played dress up with me in your closet, you put flowers in my hair for church, you taught me how to play backgammon, you let me drive when Dad wouldn't.. :)

You took on 2 ungrateful brats and gave birth to 3 of the most amazing people I know.

You cooked, you cleaned, you diapered, you home schooled, disciplined, coddled, you taught, lead by example, played, laughed, put up with Dad, wiped butts, noses and hands.... You raised a family.

I could have done without the standing in the corner part. But that's just me.

Between slamming doors, pouting and generally being a pain in the ass, I'm pretty sure I didn't say 'Thank You' enough when I was a kid, so I'll say it now...

Thank you.

God gave me two mother's but only one Mom.

Happy Mother's Day, tell Dad to rub your feet, you deserve it.
If I were you, I'd start with food and move up from there.

Grandma, this is Boogie. Boogie, this is Grandma.

 

*Mother's Day cards by Aunt Becky at MommyWantsVodka.com



1 comment:

  1. Nicole, you're a cool chick. This is beautiful.

    I started a letter to my mom three times and couldn't get it together.

    Way to go. Your mom must feel loved. Wonder if mine does?

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete